Saturday, January 28, 2012

That One A.M Feeling

By Amy Joy Faulkner



It’s almost one a.m. I am sitting in the kitchen. I want to make brownies, but my friend is being a jerk and won’t let me borrow her stuff because she wants to sleep. Whatever. I should be working on my English paper, which is due tomorrow (actually, today), but instead I’m writing this. Who knows, maybe it will get my creative juices flowing… My fingers are crossed.

College is no easy feat. I guess I was under the impression that it wasn’t as hard as it had always looked because somehow my sister and brother don’t or didn’t complain about it too much, but I was wrong. I was also told, when my oldest sister Tierzah started looking for a college (6 years ago now), that just because I was going to a Christian college didn’t mean that everyone here would be a Christian or even a good person. Obviously not, since I’m here, but I had still convinced myself that this place would be different. It’s amazing how small I can make my mind sometimes.

Let me start at the beginning, a very good place to start. Orientation was like a summer camp and although the activities were lots of fun and I met a lot of my (then) future friends, I still just wanted to chill and sleep a lot of the time. Now I wish I could go back to that weekend and actually pay attention to all of the people I met and the behavior I saw so that I can look less like an idiot and make a better impression on the people who are now my friends. Oh well, they must love me anyway.

When my brother asked me to write this blog, completely out of the blue, I was baffled. I’d never done anything like it before or even know how to blog, but I never foresaw the biggest issue that I’m having with it: time. Doesn’t the fact that I’m writing this with three minutes left of midnight pretty much sum that up? And I’m not even taking any really hard classes, unlike my roommate.

About my roommate, she is incredible. We emailed a lot over the summer, but obviously since I’m from Ohio and she’s from North Carolina, we didn’t get a chance to meet until move in day. However, it didn’t take us long to figure out that we are perfect for each other. We like quiet, we don’t party, we do our work before the night before it’s due (until now), we’re both neat freaks who clean on the weekend and never leave our clothes lying around, and we both like to sleep. A lot of the other girls have had problems with their roommates, but I couldn’t be happier with mine. I only hope she feels the same way.

I’m trying to get my core subjects out of the way as fast as I possibly can. Obviously, that’s what every college freshman wants to do, especially when they know what they want to major in, because core subjects suck. I’m taking statistics, which is pretty easy, only two days a week, but still stressful before a test. Old Testament which is mostly taking notes, memorizing them all, then spewing it out in one of those accursed little blue books with a few deep thoughts added now and then. Honors English which is taught by a charming lady who looks a little prettier than a dragon and is almost as kind if you get on her bad side, which I have not, and finally seminar. Every freshman has to take a semester of seminar of which there are eight choices. I ended up getting my first choice, The Chronicles of Narnia. The class is a breeze, but it still sucks. It’s busy work that doesn’t challenge any part of the mind. It’s enough to make any self-respecting French-English major want to stick their head in the oven. Yeah, life is rough.

We hardly have any homework though, except in English. Most nights we just have to read a work of literature that she gives us and either answer the questions given to us or make up three of our own and answer them. This is much harder than it sounds, though, and usually only takes up to two hours. Unfortunately for us, she also expected us to read Thomas Hardy’s Far from the Madding Crowd in a couple of days and now we have to write a paper about it, one that I am having immense difficulty with, probably because I’m so used to the journaling style. Like this. We also have a research assignment due in that class on a novel that we have to read, mine being My Antonia, which I have never read and an oral report. Mine is on The Secret Garden which I have also never read all the way through.

Despite all this (which really isn’t that much) I spend a remarkable amount of time developing a social life. My first weekend was insane and I ended up staying up until three am and missing my nine am Old Testament class. My first Monday of class, and I missed it. However, that weekend I met some amazing people who are now my very close friends. I’ve developed a liking for pool as well, often being challenged by some of my new friends from a different group, and discovered that video games are not all bad, as long as it’s MarioKart. Among other crazy, stupid things I’ve done here, I’ve fallen over a couch onto thinly carpeted concrete floor and gave myself a minor concussion, stayed out until 11, drunk with sleep deprivation, playing truth or dare and proposing to a guy, I’ve gotten so sick that I couldn’t leave the room, and tonight I went to a concert near Clempson. I have an English paper due in about 10 hours, a class in 8 hours, I had a math test today, and I went to a concert tonight. But, you see, I had to, because Superchick was playing. Don’t judge me.

Now, if you’ll please excuse me for imparting no new information, my horrible grammatical issues that any decent English major would cry over, and my abrupt ending, I have a paper to write.

Related Posts from 10:31 Life Ministries

The Best of Education by Jonathan Faulkner
Devoured, Withered, Chocked and...Alive?  by Angel Edwards
Hawthorne VS. Christianity by Rev. David Faulkner

Also Available from Amy Faulkner
Hi My Name is Amy
The Smile the Face: Poverty in America
The Smile, The Face: Human Trafficking

Contact 10:31 Life Ministries at hi1031.ministries@yahoo.com




No comments:

Post a Comment